Income computation and disclosure standards
Separate Books of Accounts not required as per ICDS
As per Explanatory Memorandum to Finance (No. 2) Bill, 2014 ” ……The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) had constituted an Accounting Standard Committee in 2010. The Committee has submitted its Final Report in August, 2012. The Committee recommended that the AS notified under the Act should be made applicable only to the computation of taxable income and a taxpayer should not be required to maintain books of account on the basis of AS notified under the Act. …… provisions of section 145 of the Act may be suitably amended to clarify that the notified AS are not meant for maintenance of books of account but are to be followed for computation of income.
ICDS applies only to Profit and gains of business or profession” or ” Income from other sources”
Income computation and disclosure standards are mandatory from AY 2016-17 as per Notification NO.32/2015 [F. NO. 134/48/2010-TPL]/SO 892(E) Dated 31.03.2015
Effect If ICDS not followed in preparing income tax return :-
Section 145 of the Income Tax Act
Method of accounting.
145. (1) Income chargeable under the head “Profits and gains of business or profession” or “Income from other sources” shall, subject to the provisions of sub-section (2), be computed in accordance with either cash or mercantile system of accounting regularly employed by the assessee.
(2) The Central Government may notify in the Official Gazette from time to time income computation and disclosure standards to be followed by any class of assessees or in respect of any class of income.
(3) Where the Assessing Officer is not satisfied about the correctness or completeness of the accounts of the assessee, or where the method of accounting provided in sub-section (1) has not been regularly followed by the assessee, or income has not been computed in accordance with the standards notified under sub-section (2) , the Assessing Officer may make an assessment in the manner provided in section 144.
List of Income Computation and Disclosure Standard Issued by
- ICDS I – Income Computation and Disclosure Standard -I (Accounting Policies)
- ICDS II -Income Computation and Disclosure Standard-II (Valuation of Inventories )
- ICDS III -Income Computation and Disclosure Standard -III (Construction Contracts)
- ICDS IV -Income Computation and Disclosure Standard IV (Revenue Recognition )
- ICDS V – Income Computation and Disclosure Standard V (Tangible fixed assets )
- ICDS VI -Income Computation and Disclosure Standard VI (Effects of Changes in Foreign Exchange Rates)
- ICDS VII -Income Computation and Disclosure Standard VII (Government Grants )
- ICDS VIII -Income Computation and Disclosure Standard VIII ( Securities )
- ICDS IX-Income Computation and Disclosure Standard IX (Borrowing Costs )
- ICDS X- Income Computation and Disclosure Standard X (Provisions, Contingent Liabilities and Contingent Assets)
- Key Takeaway of ICDS -Income Computation and Disclosure Standard