Updating the Transport Mode on E-Way Bill Portal? Follow these 5 Steps
Transshipment under e-Way Bills is a feared term due to its complexity & technicality. However, it is an important term & as a business, you must know the deeper meaning & details of it.
Enrich your knowledge of e-Way Bills, Transshipment & Compliance. Also, learn how you can comply better with the e-Way Bill system, increase accuracy & save time.
The Article Covers
- E-way bill – Going Ahead
- Transshipment – Defined easily
- Updating vehicle or mode of transport on e-Way Bill Portal – Step by Step Guide
- Multi-Vehicle Option for e-Way Bill – Points to consider
- Key points about e-Way Bill Compliance
- Transshipment, consolidation, generation & all other e-Way Bill operations- Do it effortlessly for better compliance
E-way bill – Going Ahead
E-Way Bills are documents made mandatory by the Government for the transportation of Goods both inter & intra-state.
E-Way Bill generation is mandatory for all the businesses for the movements of any goods valued Rs. 50,000 or more, both inter-state as well as intra-state, unless the goods are exempted from the rule.
The transporter of such goods must carry the Invoice/Challan & the e-Way Bill mandatorily while moving such goods.
On being intercepted in-transit by Tax officials, if the transporter fails to present the e-Way Bill, then the owner of the good shall be liable to pay penalties or the amount of tax sought to be hidden.
Primarily e-Way Bills are generated by the owner of the goods, who initiated the movement & there can only be one e-Way Bill against one Tax Invoice.
Meaning for multiple Invoices even if the shipment is going to the same location, there must be different e-Way Bills. Later for the sake of ease, these e-Way Bills can be consolidated.
Transshipment – Defined easily
For many of you, the term, Transshipment can look worrisome & technical. Let us try to understand the term with the help of an Illustration-
The supply of material is initiated from Bombay towards the final destination of Kochi. Goods need to change 2 vehicles while in transit, once in Pune & then in Hubli.
Now while changing vehicles in Pune the Transporter or the consignor needs to furnish Part-B of the e-Way Bill with details, of the new vehicle & Transporter before the movement of the new Vehicle begins.
And the same has to be done while the goods are being transferred to a different vehicle in Hubli.
In other words, Transshipment means the change in either the mode of transportation of goods or the Vehicle or both. Transshipment is the change of mode of transport or vehicle, of in-transit goods.
Transshipment takes place when goods are being shipped in different Vehicles or through different transport modes to a location.
Multi-Vehicle Option for e-Way Bill – Points to consider
Following are facts you need to know about Transshipment of goods-
- There can be N number of transshipment of goods. Meaning, the vehicles & modes of movement of goods can be changed N number of times.
- Transshipment is only valid as long as the e-Way Bill is valid
- Changes can only be made to Part B of the e-Way Bill
- You must update the Part B details before the change of vehicle takes place
- Both the Supplier & Transporter (if Transporter ID is mentioned) can update the Part B of e-Way Bill.
- Transshipment can also take place if the original vehicle is broken.
- There need not be multiple e-Way Bills just for multiple Vehicles
- Transshipment is also applicable to Consolidated e-Way Bills
- E-Way Bill updation shall not be required for the change in the mode of transport to a non-motorized conveyance/vehicle.
- E-Way Bill updation shall also not be required for moving the goods to a place of export & further.
Updating vehicle or mode of transport on e-Way Bill Portal – Step by Step Guide
Following are the steps to furnish new details in Part B of the e-Way Bill-
- Log into the e-Way Bill Portal
- Click on ‘e-Way Bill’ under ‘Main Menu’
- Click on ‘Update Part-B/Vehicle
- Enter the correct e-Way Bill number
- Enter & update the details of the new Vehicle & Transporter
Note- There is a bulk update option also available for consolidated e-Way Bills that may change vehicles or the mode of transportation later.
Key points about e-Way Bill Compliance
Accuracy in e-Way Bills is important for e-Way Bill Compliance. E-Way Bill is a mandatory document & hence complying with the rule & its provisions is the best thing that you can do as a Business.
E-Way Bill non-compliance strings along trouble & momentary halt for your Business. Having no e-Way Bill, or having expired or incorrect e-Way Bill can attract penalties, seizure & detention of such goods found. (e-way bill kaise banaye)
Due to these harsh actions, a Supplier will not want to send their goods anywhere without e-Way Bills. This can cause a halt to the Business, which is why most genuine Business owners know the vitality of the e-Way Bill rule & comply with it well.
Hence reducing the chance of pausing Business Transactions but, mistakes & delay in taking actions in the required fields of the e-Way Bill can still risk the in-transit goods.
Such as not extending the validity of an expiring e-Way Bill, not updating the Part-B details for Transshipment, & furnishing wrong or misleading details in the e-Way bill both as a mistake and as intent.
The least penalty for non-compliance with e-Way Bills is Rs. 10,000, which can increase surprisingly with investigation & trials. The owner of the goods may need to pay a part of the value of these goods or the amount of tax sought to be evaded.
Transshipment, consolidation, generation & all other e-Way Bill operations- Do it effortlessly for better compliance
So far we have summed up to the fact that e-Way Bills are highly important & yet tricky documents with a lot of sub-terms such as Transshipment & Consolidation of e-Way Bills etc.
Now, the working of these sub-terms in the practical world is even trickier & requires attention & knowledge from the one handling them in a company.
Accuracy in the e-Way Bill is essential for complying well with the system. And accuracy can be improved by eliminating the manual data entry & adapting to a more automated method instead.
APIs can automate the process & can help you skip the manual entry of details. GSTHero is a government authorized GST Suvidha Provider.
This GSP provides top-notch & the most reliable Solutions for your e-Way Bill complications.
GSTHero integrates with your ERP to help you perform all of the e-Way Bill operations from within your ERP. This simplifies the process, hence making e-Way Bill operations simple, less time taking, automated & accurate.
With GSTHero integration & plug-ins make GST & its provisions simpler & precise.
Some out of the box features of GSTHero : here’s why we are the best-
- Generate, Consolidate, Edit, Cancel, update for transshipment & Print e-Way Bills in 1 click form the ERP.
- Since ERPs already have the invoice data, the user need not upload any data again. For updating Part-B for Transshipment of goods, you only need to select the e-Way Bill from the database & proceed with entering the Vehicle & Transporter details.
- GSTHero Site-to-site Integration & plug-ins merge the ERPs to the e-Way Bill Portal, so all the e-Way Bill operations can be performed from within the ERP itself. No need for constant juggling between the ERP & the Portal.
- Bulk Generate e-Way Bills in fewer steps without using JSON File.
- Saves time & Manpower.
- Ruling out of manual entry errors since the process is automated & more accurate. Even the smallest detail shall be auto fetched from the Invoice data.
- Invoice data shall be automatically fed for creating e-Way Bills. Meaning, no manual data entry or copying data from Invoices.
- GSTHero is ISO Certified, is safe & ensures maximum data security.
- GSTHero’s dedicated Support Team delivers prompt support to the users, & provides excellent after-sales support & training, guaranteeing a smooth user experience.
About the Author– GSTHero- Making Life Simple! GSTHero is the best GST filing, e-Way Bill Generation & E-Invoicing Software in India. GSTHero is a government authorized GST Suvidha Provider. Both Businesses and Tax Practitioners can file GSTR 1, GSTR 3B, GSTR 9 and GSTR 9C with all supporting reports. 1 Click Auto Reconciliation & report-matching feature helps you in claiming up to 100% ITC and finds your GST Defaulting Suppliers. GSTR2A vs GSTR-3B, GSTR-1 vs GSTR-3B, ‘GSTR-1, GSTR-2A & GSTR-3B’ annual report matching is also provided by GSTHero.
GSTHero ERP Plugins provide 1 Click e-Way Bill & E-Invoice, Generation, Operation & Printing from your own ERP like Tally, SAP, Marg, Busy, Microsoft Dynamics, Oracle & others itself with high data security.