Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions
Department of Personnel and Training
North Block, New Delhi-110 001 Dated : 20th July, 2016
Subject : Clarification of the Definition of “Members of Family” in the context of Rule 4 regarding.
The undersigned is directed to say that as per rule 4 (1) of CCS (Conduct) Rules, 1964, no Government servant shall use his position or influence directly or indirectly to secure employment for any member of his family in any company or firm. Further, rule 4(3) reads as follows:
“No Government servant shall in the discharge of his official duties deal with any matter or give or sanction any contract to any company or firm or any other person if any member of his family is employed in that company or firm or under that person or if he or any member of his family is interested in such matter or contract in any other manner and the Government servant shall refer every such matter or contract to his official superior and the matter or contract shall thereafter be disposed of according to the instructions of the authority to whom the reference is made.”
2. As per rule 2 of the CCS (Conduct) Rules, 1964, the definition of “Members of Family” may differ from that given in the rule 2, sub clause (c) in the context of a rule. For removal of doubts it is clarified that in the context of rule 4(1) and 4(3) “Members of family” in relation to a Government servant include the wife or husband, son or daughter, parents, brothers or sisters or any person related to any of them by blood or marriage, whether they are dependent on the Government servant or not.
3. All Ministries/ Departments/Offices are requested to bring the above guidelines to the notice of all Disciplinary Authorities under their control.
4. Hindi Version follows.
All Ministries/ Departments of the Government of India.
1. President’s Secretariat, New Delhi.
2. Vice-President’s Secretariat, New Delhi.
3. The Prime Minister’s Office, New Delhi.
4. Cabinet Secretariat, New Delhi.
5. Rajya Sabha Secretariat/Lok Sabha Secretariat, New Delhi.
6. The Comptroller and Auditor General of India, New Delhi.
7. The Secretary, Union Public Service Commission, New Delhi.
8. The Secretary, Staff Selection Commission, New Delhi.
9. The Secretary, Central Vigilance Commission, New Delhi.
10. All attached offices under the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions.
11. Secretary, National Council (JCM), 13, Feroze Shah Road, New Delhi.
12. Chief Vigilance Officers of all Ministries/Departments.
13. ADG (M&C), Press Information Bureau, DoP&T
NIC, Department of Personnel & Training, North Block, New Delhi (for uploading the same on the website of this Ministry under the Head OMs & Orders Establishment CCS(Conduct) Rules
15. Hindi Section