Instant PAN allotment on basis of Aadhaar Enabled
The Finance (No. 2) Act, 2019 introduced the concept of interchangeability of PAN with Aadhaar by inserting a new sub-section (5E) in Section 139A. The new provision enables an assessee to quote his Aadhaar in lieu of PAN and he shall be automatically allotted a new PAN. The necessary changes for allotment of PAN on basis of Aadhaar have been made in the Rule 114 vide Income-tax (Fifth Amendment) Rules, 2019, w.e.f. 1-9-2019. The CBDT has, accordingly, taken the first step in this direction. A new functionality has been enabled on the e-filing portal which allots a PAN to the assessee on basis of his Aadhaar.
Finance Minister, Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman, has mentioned about this functionality in in her budget speech 2020. The new functionality instantly allots a PAN on the basis of Aadhaar without any requirement for filing up of detailed application form and it is free of cost. An electronic copy of PAN so allotted can also be downloaded instantly.
This facility can be used by an assessee only if the following conditions are fulfilled:
1. He has never been allotted a PAN;
2. His mobile number is linked with his Aadhaar number;
3. His complete date of birth is available on the Aadhaar card; and
4. He should not be a minor on the date of application for PAN
How to get instant PAN using this functionality?
1. Go to https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home and click on the link ‘Instant PAN through Aadhaar’ given on the right hand side
2. Click on ‘Get New PAN’
3. Enter the Aadhaar No. of the Applicant
4. Enter the OTP received on the mobile number linked with the Aadhaar No.
5. Validate the Aadhaar Details
6. Validate Email-id
7. Download the e-PAN