THE INTEGRATED GOODS AND SERVICES TAX ACT, 2016
Section 10 Model IGST Law [ Nov 2016]
- Place of supply of services where the location of the supplier or the location of the recipient is outside India
(1) The provisions of this section shall apply to determine the place of supply of services where the location of the supplier of service or the location of the recipient of service is outside India.
(2) The place of supply of services except the services specified in subsections (3), (4), (5), (6), (7), (8), (9), (10), (11), (12) and (13) shall be the location of the recipient of service:
PROVIDED that in case the location of the recipient of service is not available in the ordinary course of business, the place of supply shall be the location of the supplier of service.
(3) The place of supply of the following services shall be the location where the services are actually performed, namely:-
(a) services supplied in respect of goods that are required to be made physically available by the recipient of service to the supplier of service, or to a person acting on behalf of the supplier of service in order to provide the service:
PROVIDED that when such services are provided from a remote location by way of electronic means, the place of supply shall be the location where goods are situated at the time of supply of service:
PROVIDED FURTHER that this clause shall not apply in the case of a service supplied in respect of goods that are temporarily imported into India for repairs and are exported after repairs without being put to any use in India, other than that which is required for such repairs;
(b) services supplied to an individual, represented either as the recipient of service or a person acting on behalf of the recipient, which require the physical presence of the receiver or the person acting on behalf of the recipient, with the supplier for the supply of the service.
(4) The place of supply of services supplied directly in relation to an immovable property, including services supplied in this regard by experts and estate agents, supply of hotel accommodation by a hotel, inn, guest house, club or campsite, by whatever name called, grant of rights to use immovable property, services for carrying out or co-ordination of construction work, including architects or interior decorators, shall be the place where the immovable property is located or intended to be located.
(5) The place of supply of services supplied by way of admission to, or organization of, a cultural, artistic, sporting, scientific, educational, or entertainment event, or a celebration, conference, fair, exhibition, or similar events, and of services ancillary to such admission, shall be the place where the event is actually held.
(6) Where any service referred to in sub-sections (3), (4), or (5) is supplied at more than one location, including a location in the taxable territory, its place of supply shall be the location in the taxable territory where the greatest proportion of the service is provided.
(7) Where the services referred to in sub-sections (3), (4), (5) or (6) are supplied in more than one State, the place of supply of such services shall be taken as being in each of the States in proportion to the value of services so provided in each State as ascertained from the terms of the contract or agreement entered into in this regard or, in absence of such contract or agreement, on such other reasonable basis as may be prescribed in this behalf.
(8) The place of supply of following services shall be the location of the supplier of service:-
(a) services supplied by a banking company, or a financial institution, or a non-banking financial company, to account holders;
(b) intermediary services;
(c) services consisting of hiring of means of transport other than aircrafts and vessels except yachts, upto a period of one month.
Explanation.- For the purpose of this section, the expression “goods” shall include ‘securities’ as defined in sub-section (90) of section 2 of the CGST Act, 2016.
(9) The place of supply of services of transportation of goods, other than by way of mail or courier, shall be the place of destination of the goods.
(10) The place of supply in respect of a passenger transportation service shall be the place where the passenger embarks on the conveyance for a continuous journey.
(11) Place of supply of services provided on board a conveyance during the course of a passenger transport operation, including services intended to be wholly or substantially consumed while on board, shall be the first scheduled point of departure of that conveyance for the journey.
(12) (a) The place of supply of the “online information and database access or retrieval services” services shall be location of recipient of service.
(b) For the purposes of this sub-section, person receiving such services shall be deemed to be located in the taxable territory if any two of the following non-contradictory conditions are satisfied, namely:-
(i) the location of address presented by the recipient of service via internet is in taxable territory;
(ii) the credit card or debit card or store value card or charge card or smart card or any other card by which the recipient of service settles payment has been issued in the taxable territory;
(iii) the billing address of recipient of service is in the taxable territory;
(iv) the internet protocol address of the device used by the recipient of service is in the taxable territory;
(v) the bank of recipient of service in which the account used for payment is maintained is in the taxable territory;
(vi) the country code of the subscriber identity module (SIM) card used by the recipient of service is of taxable territory;
(vii) the location of the fixed land line through which the service is received by the recipient is in taxable territory.
(13) In order to prevent double taxation or non-taxation of the supply of a service, or for the uniform application of rules, the Central Government shall have the power to notify any description of service or circumstances in which the place of supply shall be the place of effective use and enjoyment of a service.