DPSS (CO) RPPD No.2557/04.03.01/2018-19
June 11, 2019
The Chairman / Managing Director / Chief Executive Officer
of member banks participating in RTGS and / or NEFT
Madam / Sir
National Electronic Funds Transfer (NEFT) and Real Time Gross Settlement (RTGS) systems – Waiver of charges
Please refer to paragraph No. 8 of the Second Bi-monthly Monetary Policy Statement on Developmental and Regulatory Policies for 2019-20 dated June 06, 2019on the above subject. A reference is also invited to the following circulars:
- DPSS (CO) EPPD No. 2649/04.03.01/2010-11 dated June 02, 2011 on ‘Retail Electronic Payment Systems – Levy of Processing Charges’; and
- DPSS (CO) RTGS No.1926/04.04.002/2015-16 dated February 4, 2016 on ‘RTGS service charges for members and customers – Rationalisation’.
2. The Reserve Bank has since reviewed the various charges levied by it on the member banks for transactions processed in the RTGS and NEFT systems. In order to provide an impetus to digital funds movement, it has been decided that with effect from July 1, 2019, processing charges and time varying charges levied on banks by Reserve Bank of India (RBI) for outward transactions undertaken using the RTGS system, as also the processing charges levied by RBI for transactions processed in NEFT system will be waived by the Reserve Bank.
3. The banks are advised to pass on the benefits to their customers for undertaking transactions using the RTGS and NEFT systems with effect from July 1, 2019.
4. This directive is issued under Section 10 (2) read with Section 18 of Payment and Settlement Systems Act 2007 (Act 51 of 2007).
General Manager (Officer in Charge)